The CMO’s most important job when scaling? To create focus, protect focus, and seize control of the strategic planning process – not just for marketing, but for the company as a whole. Here’s how to do that.
Jay Gaines runs marketing at insurance tech scale-up AgentSync. He and I discuss:
- How to avoid ‘random acts of marketing,’ reinforce the role of marketing as the business scales, and drive a shared common understanding of what marketing is there to do for the business
- How marketing can — and should — seize control of the strategic planning process for the company as a whole
- How to respond to a CEO who over-rotates on a demand-first view of marketing
- The one question the best CMO candidates ask the CEO before they say yes to a scale job: “How exactly do you plan to expand?”
- How to avoid a surprisingly tantalizing organization mis-step when scaling
- How employees’ values are changing away from ‘growth at all costs’ – which means companies need to be pitching themselves differently
- How a tangible commitment to work/life balance and DEI, embodied from the top down, can accelerate hiring in the long run
This is Episode 2 of The Get podcast, now in Season 4. This season, we explore the theme ‘Solving for the Scale Journey.’
The Get is produced by Evo Terra and Simpler Media Productions. Listen and subscribe here.