A CMO in scale-up mode needs to budget like a boss!
Kristin Hambelton, CMO scaleup queen now running marketing for MineralTree, takes us on a deep dive of budgeting for marketing during a scale journey. You’ll learn:
- How do you communicate to a CEO and CFO that you are investing efficiently… without overspending
- When do you give budget back versus ask for more
- How to remind your peers of what marketing will and won’t do: “You won’t get to scale saying yes to everything!”
- How your budget should change through expansions and acquisitions
From a hiring standpoint, we discuss:
- The wisdom of Swiss Army knife hiring – when 1 marketer manages multiple functions
- How to do ‘lookalike’ training with your recruiter
- The one person on a marketing team who should NOT be remote
- The best question a CMO candidate could ask the recruiter: How do I rank on the scorecard for the job?
- How to experiment with hiring, not just with programs, and the wisdom of having some experimental people on the team whose backgrounds may initially make you squint
This is Episode 3 of The Get podcast, now in Season 4. This season, we explore the theme ‘Solving for the Scale Journey.’